There are many ways to support Beebe Library in its mission of serving the community, and gifts to the library enjoy the same favorable tax treatment as donations to charitable organizations. If you would like to consult with the Library Director about a gift, please call the Administration Office at 781-246-6335.
BLOSSOMS AT THE BEEBE – The library’s annual gala fundraiser, known as Blossoms at the Beebe, is hosted in partnership with the Wakefield Chamber of Commerce, and takes place in spring. The event includes a spectacular flower show, wine tasting and cash bar, delicious hot and cold food, live band and dancing, and an extensive silent auction. The 2014 event will take place on Saturday, April 26, 2014 from 7-11 pm. Last year’s event was a great success! Visit our Flickr site for a photo slideshow of past Blossoms events.
GIFTS – The library’s budget is significantly supplemented by donations. If you would like to make a check payable to Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, please specify whether your gift is to be used for purchasing books & materials or is unrestricted.
COMMEMORATIVES – To honor friends and family, Beebe Library is often named as the recipient of donations for the purchase of books with bookplates bearing the name of the honoree.
BEQUESTS – If you are considering mentioning Beebe Library in your will, we suggest the following language:
I hereby give and bequeath to the Trustees of the Lucius Beebe Memorial Library, Wakefield, Mass., the sum of ………… Dollars to have and to hold, to be used for the unrestricted purposes of the said library (alternatively, the income only of which shall be used for …………….. of the said library).
GIVE A MAGAZINE – While the library annually solicits magazine sponsorships from past donors, new donors are welcome any time. Please contact Technical Services at 781-246-6334 ext. 145 to review the titles available for sponsorship or see our online list of available titles.
THINGS TO BUY – The Friends of Beebe Library sell a variety of items to benefit the library:
* Bookbags – with the library’s beehive logo – $15 for a large bag, $10 for a small
* Umbrellas – also with the library logo – $20 for a large, $12 for a small
* Local Honey – $7 for a large jar (16 oz), $4 for a small (8 oz)
* Notecards – a package of 8 elegant blank cards with color photos of the library – $8
* Used Books – browse our ongoing sale of used books – $2 or less per book
ONLINE DONATING –
* Contribute using Amazon.com. We are exploring a way for you to direct a percentage of your purchase price to the library by clicking through to Amazon from the library website. Watch this page for information on when this opportunity is available.
* Purchase books for the library using our Amazon Wishlist of titles we would be pleased to receive as donations. Simply browse the list, select a title, purchase it, and it will automatically be sent to the library as a gift.
* Contribute to Beebe Library by using GoodSearch.com, a Yahoo-based search engine that donates a percentage of advertising revenue to charitable causes. When you go to GoodSearch, choose Beebe Library as your charity of choice, and every search you do contributes a penny to the library.
DONATING NEW AND USED BOOKS - Beebe Library accepts donations of new and used books. Books that are suitable for our collections will be added for the benefit of the community. Books that are not suitable, either because we already own them, or due to poor condition, will be passed on to the Friends of Beebe Library for their annual book sale. Lacking storage space, we ask you to hold large donations until late spring when the Friends actively solicit donations for the June sale. Smaller quantities of books are accepted throughout the year. Please do not leave book donations in the book drops. While we cannot place a value on your donated books, we are happy to provide a receipt with the number of books donated for your tax records.
FRIENDS OF BEEBE LIBRARY – The Friends of Beebe Library is an active non-profit group dedicated to supporting the library’s collections and programs through fundraising and events. Since their formation in 1972, the Friends have contributed furnishings and equipment, and provided museum passes and the rental collections of popular DVDs, audiobooks, and bestsellers. Their major fundraiser is the book sale the first Saturday in June. To learn more about the Friends or to join, visit their web site at friendsofbeebe.org. You can also get membership forms at the Library.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES – Beebe Library is happy to welcome people interested in doing volunteer work, including book mending, delivering materials to the homebound, and other helpful tasks. We do request that volunteers make a commitment for a minimum number of hours on a fixed schedule, so that we can rely on work getting done regularly. If you’d like to help, please look at our guidelines for volunteering and apply by contacting the Library’s Assistant Director at 781-246-6335.