Wakefield's Common is located in the center of town on the south shore of Lake Quannapowitt. Early settlers provided for common lands in the early 18th century, and in 1741, formally declared that the common lands "never be disposed of for any other use whatsoever, without the consent of every freeholder in the parish." Starting in 1871 the town began to purchase previously sold land in the area of Church Street and with a subsequent $10,000 bequest from the estate of Cornelius Sweetser, Jr., was able to furnish and beautify the park area.
The Common is divided into two sections by Church Street, which runs east-west. The more or less rectangular portion north of Church Street, and bounded by Main Street and Lake Avenue, is known as the Lower Common, perhaps because of its slightly lower elevation as it slopes down to the lake. It is approximately 6.75 acres in area. It is less formal than the Upper Common, and has few amenities or furnishings other than a wide sward of lawn, a number of widely spaced trees, and the Bandstand, which was built with funds from the Sweetser bequest in 1885.