Man Blinded by Bathing
In August 1904, 24 year old Louis Adleman of 15 Mechanic (now Princess) Street was rendered totally blind by swimming in Lake Quannapowitt. The unusual incident was thought by a Dr. Sopher to have been caused by his being overheated, which paralyzed his optic nerve. There was a brief mention in the New York Times, as well as in the local newspaper, the Wakefield Daily Item.
Adleman had only been in the United States for three years, and had been working at the local rattan factory. His mother was located in Baltimore, and he was sent there after the incident.
- Brief article in the New York Times, August 4, 1904.
- "A sad case," Wakefield Daily Item', Wednesday, August 3, 1904, p1.