Wakefield's Common is located in the center of town on the south shore of Lake Quannapowitt. Early settlers provided for common lands in the early 18th century, and in 1741, formally declared that the common lands "never be disposed of for any other use whatsoever, without the consent of every freeholder in the parish." Starting in 1871 the town began to purchase previously sold land in the area of Church Street and with a subsequent $10,000 bequest from the estate of Cornelius Sweetser, Jr., was able to furnish and beautify the park area.
The Common is divided into two sections by Church Street, which runs east-west. The triangular portion south of Church Street, and bounded by Main and Common Streets, is known as the Upper Common, perhaps because of its slightly higher elevation. It is approximately 2.5 acres in area. It is more formal than the Lower Common, and has paved paths, flowering trees, benches, Victorian style lampposts, granite and iron fences, and several war memorials, most notably the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial for the Civil War.