This is a quick reference guide to those Beebe family members most closely connected with the Lucius Beebe Memorial Library.
Stuart Beebe (1779-1851) and Sophia Gilbert (?-1855) had the following children:
1. Junius (1809-1850)
2. Lucius (March 2, 1810 - April 15, 1884) - This is the Lucius for whom the Lucius Beebe Memorial Library is named.
3. Marcus (1812-1891)
4. Decius (1814-1900)
5. Cyrus (1817-1843)
Lucius Beebe and Sylenda Morris Beebe married in 1836 and had the following children:
1. Lucius Morris (1837-1886)
2. William (1839 lived only 2 weeks)
3. Charles Stuart (1842-1916)
4. Louisa (1844-1866)
5. Joseph Morris (1846-1857)
6. Cyrus Gilbert (1850-1901)
7. Marcus (1852-1924) twin of Decius
8. Decius (1852-1915) twin of Marcus
9. Junius (October 8, 1854 - 1934) - Junius was the son who donated $60,000 in 1916 for the construction of the Beebe Library in memory of his parents.
10. Frederick (1857-1922)
11. Alice (1860-1929)
12. Sylenda Morris (1863-?)
Junius Beebe and Eleanor Harriet Merrick married in 1886 and had the following children:
1. Junius Merrick (1891-1892)
2. Lucia (1892-?)
3. Junius Oliver (1894-1933)
4. Lucius Morris (December 9, 1902 - February 4, 1966) - This is the Lucius who was famous for his high style, society journalism, and interest in railroading.
Coat of arms
The motto of the Beebe family is "Se Defendendo!" (by defending himself).
The family coat of arms consists of a gold chevron (inverted "V" shape) with two gold flying bees above and one below, all on an azure background.
The family crest is a beehive. The beehive and bee symbols are found in many places in the Library building, such as in doorframes and on the entrance railings, and are now used as the Library's logo.
- Wilder, Louise Beebe, Lucius Beebe of Wakefield and Sylenda Morris Beebe, his wife, their forbears and descendants, New York : Knickerbocker Press, 1930.
- Beebe Exchange web site