Derby-Beebe Summer House
The Derby-Beebe Summer House (1799) is a one-room Federal style pavilion designed by American architect Samuel McIntire (1757-1811). One of only two surviving summer houses designed by McIntire, it has Corinthian pilasters, a frieze of swags under the eaves, and a balustrade with urns around the edge of the roof. The structure was originally located on the Beebe Farm owned by the family of Lucius Beebe, which was located on the eastern shore of Lake Quannapowitt in Wakefield. It was later moved to Salem, Massachusetts, where it is now owned and maintained by the Peabody Essex Museum as part of their collection of historic architecture.
McIntire's other summer house, the Derby Summer House, or McIntire Tea House, was designed and built in 1793-1794 for Elias Hasket Derby of Salem. The house was located on Derby's farm, located in what is now the city of Peabody. In 1901 the building was moved four miles to Glen Magna Farms in Danvers, where it was again used as a garden pavilion. Glen Magna Farms, with the McIntire Summer House, is now a historic property managed by the Danvers Historical Society.